The Feast Before the Fast
Here are some opportunities to get extra stamps on your passport:
- Mardi Gras Celebration: Even though we don't "officially" have a faith formation gathering this month, all are encouraged to attend any or all of the parish Mardi Gras Celebration. Click here for the schedule of activities. Earn an extra stamp if you volunteer: play in the band, help with serving, clean-up, or with the various activities.
- Ash Wednesday: Attend one of the Ash Wednesday services and receive ashes.
- The Word Became Flesh; Praying with The Saint John's Bible Attend this Lenten Day of Reflection at Ss. John and Paul on Saturday, February 21st from 9 am - 2:30 pm. See the Heritage Edition of The Saint John's Bible and be immersed in the Word and the art of this bible. Appropriate for high school age to adult. Registration is now closed for the Day of Reflection, but the bibles will be on display after Sunday Liturgies on February 22. Stop by with your family to check them out! Click here for all the details.
- Lenten Soup Suppers: Every Tuesday in Lent you are invited to join us for Mass at 5:30, followed by a simple soup supper. Earn extra stamps by volunteering to bring a crock pot of soup, bread or a simple relish tray to one of the suppers. Click here for more information.
- CRS Rice Bowl: Take a Rice Bowl on the first Sunday of Lent, and as a household, use the included calendar to live your faith this Lent. Get additional stamps by signing up for the Rice Bowl weekly emails or downloading the Rice Bowl app for daily reflections. Click here for details and links.
- Dessert for the Lenten Fish Fries: Youth Ministry sells desserts at the Knights of Columbus Lenten Fish Fries for a free-will offering. Funds raised go towards summer Youth Ministry service trips. Donate a dessert for one or more fish fry and earn a stamp on your passport. Click here for fish fry information. Contact Terry or Joan for more information about donating desserts.
- Living Catholic Social Teaching in the Family will be offered twice in the Des Moines Diocese: Tuesday, February 24 at Christ the King Parish or Thursday, February 26 at Holy Trinity Parish, both from 7-9 pm. Msgr. Frank Bognanno, Fr. Mark Neal, and Christy & Tim Sheaff will talk about marriage and family life as the primary focus for promoting the common good, building a just society, upholding the dignity of human life, and lifting up the poor and vulnerable. Child care is available. For more details and/or to register online, click here.